The notional ‘centre of London’ since the early nineteenth century, Charing Cross is still the point from which all distances to the Capital are measured. How fitting then that the six spokes of this junction mirror the principle fields of collecting at Saturday’s weekly market: stamps, coins, militaria, ephemera, postcards and miscellaneous(!)
Originally a vegetable market, the site can trace its roots as a trading place back to the late seventeenth century. Access to its wares was given a further boost in 1845 when the Hungerford suspension bridge was built and the market thrived for over a century before it became established as London’s premier collectors’ market in 1974. So far as we can tell, it remains the only weekly collectors’ market anywhere in the UK.